It’s s faily safe bet that Illinois State Rep. La Shawn Ford (D-8) cut his teeth in the same cutthroat school of politics as Barack Obama and Rahm Emanuel. Ford’s conviction of tax evasion pretty much proves he’s a Chicago politician (see video below).
But despite Ford not only being a liberal Democrat representing the Southwest-Side of Chicago, as well as fairly recently calling for even more state and federal gun control, Ford is now advocating his constituants arm-up for their own self-protection.
That doesn’t say a whole hell of a lot of the alleged “leadership” in both the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois, does it?
As reported by WLS-AM News of Chicago (emphasis mine);
After another violent weekend that saw eight people killed and at least 32 others wounded, one lawmaker is taking action by encouraging his constituents to arm themselves.
Bullets from a shooting that left a 22-year-old dead in the Austin Neighborhood on the West Side Sunday also found State Rep. La Shawn Ford’s (D-Chicago) car.
Bullets were also found down the block, lodged in a love seat in a nearby home in the 800 block of North LeClaire Ave.
Ford tells The Mancow Show on WLS-AM 890 that he is encouraging his residents to arm themselves against the violence.
“I think about it all the time,” Ford said of the shootings that plague his community. “That’s why I’m working with a concealed carry instructor and we’re going to go through the neighborhood and we’re going to encourage people to get their concealed carry license because it makes no sense for people not to have the protections that they need.”
While Rep. Ford promised to bring concealed carry classes to his district, it’s taken at face value that the classes will not be pro bono, and the citizens desirous of their concealed carry permit (CCP) will have to pay out of their own pockets.
Furthermore, according to the official Illinois State Police website, this is what an Illinois resident needs just to qualify for a CCP;
- 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor [$150.00].
- Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
- An Illinois State Police User ID and Password
- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
- A valid FOID card unless in the process of getting a valid FOID card [$10.00].
- A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days [$3.00 – $5.00].
- Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
- Fingerprints – Electronic fingerprints will expedite your application! Specify to the Live Scan vendor that your fingerprint application is for the Concealed Carry application (ORI = IL920707Z, Purpose Code = CCW) [$20.00].
- NOTE: Applicants will be assigned a transaction control number (TCN) at the time of fingerprinting and will be required to retain that TCN to complete the application.
- $150.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.
Well over $300.00 later, then the citizens of the Illinois 8th House District have the “right” to purchase their own firearm as per the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.