It’s simply a matter of historical fact that Christianity predates Islam in Egypt by at least 600 years.
Nonetheless, the Coptic Christians of Egypt find themselves distictly in the minority in an overwhelmingly Moslem country.
In spite of there actually being two different Coptic Churches in Egypt; the Orthodox Copts (nearly 9 million strong) and the much smaller Coptic Catholics of the Alexandrian rite (almost 200,000), the two Churches are surprisingly close in both teachings and liturgy.
Undoubtedly, the Orthodox as well as their Catholic brethren are mourning the news of the murder of Bishop Anba Epiphanius, abbot of the St. Markarious Monastery in Wadi al-Natrun, a village in Egypt’s Great Western Desert.
As reported in the everything Coptic newspaper, Watani (Coptic language for “My Homeland”);
Monks of St Macarius’s say he had left his cell at dawn to attend Matins Praise that precedes Sunday Mass, but was obviously intercepted by someone who came from behind him and hit him on the head with a sharp, heavy object.
The Abbot was later found by the monks lying in a pool of blood, dead. They directly called Pope Tawadros who hastened to delegate a number of bishops to check on the matter, as well as on the monks and monastery. The homeland security authorities and the prosecution were directly notified; they headed to the monastery, together with a criminal investigation team and forensic medicine investigators. The monastery is now closed until investigations are completed.
In recent years (PJ Media has) reported on the string of attacks, suicide bombings, and murders targeting the Coptic community (PJ Media cites a different source article to every specific instance listed below):
- Dec 29, 2017: Terrorists Attack Coptic Church South of Cairo, at Least 10 Reported Dead
- Oct. 12, 2017: Coptic Priest Murdered in Cairo in Latest Anti-Christian Sectarian Attack in Egypt
- July 15, 2017: Slashing at Coptic Church in Alexandria As Attacks on Christians in Egypt Escalate
- June 24, 2017: Egyptian Authorities Bust Terror Cell Targeting Alexandria Church For Suicide Bombing on Eid al-Fitr
- May 29, 2017: ‘Moderate’ Muslim Brotherhood Incites More Terror Attacks Targeting Egypt’s Coptic Christians
- May 26, 2017: On Eve of Ramadan, Islamic Gunmen Kill 31 Coptic Christians on Pilgrimage in Egypt
- May 9, 2017: My Visit to the Site of the December Coptic Church Suicide Bombing in Cairo
- May 8, 2017: Islamic State Threatens More Attacks on Egypt’s Christians, Obama CVE Adviser Says They Have It Coming
- April 14, 2017: New Attacks on Coptic Christians in Upper Egypt — But It’s Not the Islamic State
- April 12, 2017: Egyptian Authorities Stop Planned Islamic State Terror Attack on Coptic Monastery in Upper Egypt
- April 9, 2017: Two Blasts Strike Coptic Churches on Palm Sunday in Egypt, 49 Reported Dead
- Feb. 25, 2017: Hundreds of Egyptian Coptic Christians Flee Sinai After Series of Islamic State Murders
- Feb. 19, 2017: New Islamic State Video Threatens Egyptian Christians, Shows December Church Suicide Bomber
- Feb. 13, 2017: More Coptic Christians Murdered the Past Two Months Than Admitted As Refugees During Obama’s Presidency
- Jan. 3, 2017: Islamist Murders Christian for Selling Alcohol in Alexandria
- Dec. 11, 2016: Cairo Cathedral Bombing Killing 25 During Church Service Fits a Familiar Pattern
- Aug 14, 2016: Three Years After – Revisiting the Muslim Brotherhood’s August 2013 ‘Reign of Terror’ Targeting Egypt’s Christians
- June 25, 2016: Disgraced Homeland Security Adviser Mohamed Elibiary Scapegoats Egypt’s Christians — Again
- March 29, 2015: Muslim Brotherhood Mob Attacks Family of Coptic Christian Martyr Beheaded by ISIS in Libya