But if certain operatives in the Republican Party get their way, the retired Leatherneck may have yet another title – Mr. President. As reported by Natalie Johnson of the Washington Free Beacon, and also by Jeff Schogol of the Marine Corps Times, both on Apr. 8, 2016, certain unnamed movers and shakers in the GOP are looking to draft Mattis to run for POTUS should the possible in-fighting at the Republican Convention this summer look to self-destruct the Party.
As reported, “Close to a dozen influential donors—involving politically-involved billionaires with deep pockets and conservative leanings—are ready to put their resources behind Mattis.” However, the General may not want to be the president, as he’s made clear in the past.
While speaking to students at Columbia Basin College last year in his home state of Washington, he hinted he had no intention of running for political office. “I like the enemy knowing there are a few guys like me around.” Mattis also told the Marine Corps Times in a separate article, “[It’s] time for younger people, especially veterans, to run for office.”
Nonetheless, the General’s name keeps popping up. As The Daily Caller news portal noted earlier this year, Jim Mattis is one of the individuals whose name is often mentioned as a possible running mate for the current Republican front runner, Donald Trump.
And much like Trump, Mattis is quite proud of being plain spoken and often the bane of liberals due to his decidedly non-politically correct speech. Despite his self-admitted love of bar brawling, the never married 65-year-old may know how to crack skulls, but never let it be said he doesn’t know how to crack a book. known to quote Sun Tzu, Ulysses S. Grant, George Patton, Shakespeare, and the Holy Bible, he’s also been known to carry a copy of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius with him on his numerous deployments.
During his 41-year Marine Corps career, Gen. Mattis held various billets ranging from a Rifle and Weapons Platoon Commander as a young Second Lieutenant; when promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, he commanded 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, which was one of Task Force Ripper’s assault battalions during the Persian Gulf War; upon promotion to Brigadier General led the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade in Afghanistan; when he tacked on his second star, he commanded the storied First Marine Division in Iraq; when promoted to Lieutenant General, assumed command of the massive Marine Expeditionary Force, and upon his last promotion to General, served as commander of the United States Central Command, overseeing both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Despite a stellar career, the Washington Free Beacon (WFB) noted in 2013 that the General was forced to retire because “Barack Obama decided to force the Marine Corps legend out early because he rubbed civilian officials the wrong way, and forced them to answer tough questions regarding Iran.” The WFB also compiled a number of his famed quotes, what they’re calling The Best from ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis;
1. “I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.”
2. “The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.”
3. “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f_ck with me, I’ll kill you all.”
4. “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.”
5. “Marines don’t know how to spell the word defeat.”
6. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
7. “The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.”
8. “You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.”
9. “There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
10. “No war is over until the enemy says it’s over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote.”
11. “There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”
12. “You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.”
13. “You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”
14. “I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.”
15. “Demonstrate to the world there is ‘No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy’ than a U.S. Marine.”
16. “Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit”