Al-Qaeda terrorist Abu Hamza (aka: “Doctor Hook” and “The Hate Cleric” by the British press) is complaining to a federal judge in New York that his current accommodations aren’t quite up to snuff by his standards, as reported by the New York Daily News on Nov. 26, 2013.
Claiming he lost his hands fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s, Hamza ordered his taxpayer-funded team of lawyers inform the judge that the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan just isn’t cutting it.
Seeking transfer to a special medical prison in Devens, Mass., one of his lawyers, Lindsay Lewis informed the court, “his arms are infected, and this is an issue that needs to be resolved at a medical center.”
The same inmate who once went as far as demanding a water squirting bidet be installed in his cell, presumably due to cleansing oneself with hooks-for-hands being quite the dangerous proposition, has quite the reputation for complaining of his living conditions.
His request for the buttocks bubbler was denied.
Nonetheless, the litany of Hamza’s complaints have reached the level that even the notoriously liberal New York-based judges have had enough.
Reportedly, U.S. District Judge Katherine Forrest had had enough, slamming Hamza by reminding him that jail “is not a hotel.”
Abu Hamza was slapped in 2004 with an 11-count indictment that accuses him of supporting the Taliban with money and soldiers, aiding in the 1998 attack that left four kidnapped hostages dead and plotting to set up an al-Qaeda training camp in Oregon.
Busted by the Brits…
Convicted on terrorism charges by the British in 2006, at a cost to British taxpayers of £1 million ($1.5 million), Hamza fought extradition to the United States until late in 2012.
Even prior to his being sent to the US, his lawyers expressed concern that he would face “inhumane” treatment in the US prison system.
As reported by The Express (of London) in January, 2013 Hamza’s wife and seven children still residing in Great Britain and still on the British version of welfare.
It’s Called Jail for a Reason…
Hamza’s wife , Najat, publicly complained of her husband’s supposed ill treatment at the hands of Yank authorities:
- All this time he has remained in solitary confinement 23 hours a day in a small room with no window and no sunlight.
- For one hour, he is allowed to stretch his legs just next to his cell where there is not even enough room to even do that.
- She has received few letters from him.
- He has been allowed to call her just once.
- His hair has not been combed due to a comb not being available for him.
- He doesn’t even know the direction of the kibla [which indicates the direction in which Muslims must pray].
- He is still praying but is left to guess [which direction to face].
- It has also been reported he is seldom allowed the use of his hook.