Back in the ’40s, ’50s, ’60s, even until the early ’70s, the steel mill foreman had something in common with the new hire; the truck driver had something in common with the owner of the gas station; the plumbing contractor had something in common with his neighbor, the insurance agent.
Chances were very good that the common thread for all six would be that while in their late teens ’til their mid-20s they had to answer to a Platoon Sergeant, Division Chief or Section Head.
Love, hate or indifferent to the military draft of 1940-1973, one thing it succeeded at was instilling a true sense of commonality for the average American male. A shared experience that nearly every red-blooded American knew well.
As a political conservative, I adhere to the rather old-fashioned notion that in general, the only reason the federal government exists is to ensure we aren’t invaded and to collect international taxes.
But today I read two somewhat disconcerting news articles. Here are the headlines and direct links;
- US Military Would Need Conscription to Fight China: Expert
- China expands wartime military draft to include veterans and college students
With that said, I say it’s time to bring back the draft. But instead of calling it Selective Service, more correctly refer to it as National Service (putting the emphasis on Service), but with some twists… twists that matter.
Besides, America’s coming apart at the seams. Some even predict that within the next 10-20 years, there very well could be a Balkanization of our country. Or even worse – fighting a full-blown civil war.
That aside, it really is time to start a whole new NS. But here are a few of the twists I mentioned;
- Make it voluntary. If you elect not to perform NS… then don’t. But keep in mind, if you choose not to, then forget about ever receiving a federal job, a federal loan or federal assistance. Ever.
- Unemployment Insurance is 100 percent the responsibility of the various states and territories, NOT the federal government.
- Everyone from 18 to TBD will have the choice to participate or not participate in NS. This applies to citizens and legal residents; rich and poor; male and female. No student deferments, period.
National Service will be divided into two categories: Military Option and Civilian Option.
- Military Option would consist of either three years active duty or six years in the reserves or National Guard.
- Military Option would be assigned to a branch of the Armed Forces based on the needs of the Services.
- Military Option would receive the same pay and allowances that military volunteers now enjoy.
- Civilian Option would consist of either one year active duty or three years in the civilian equivalent to the military reserves.
- Civilian Option would be assigned based on the needs of the various Departments. Anything from changing bedpans at a VA hospital to hacking out firebreaks for the Forestry Service to childcare (changing dirty diapers) for minor illegal aliens if assigned to the Border Patrol.
- Civilian Option would receive half the pay and allowances of the pay for those who chose the Military Option. Civilian Option would be barred from federal employees union membership.
Yeah, I know this seems hard, but we’re living in hard times.
I’m also smart enough to know that anything even close to my
This reminds me of a quote from one of my personal heroes, Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC;
“Our country won’t go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any America — because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.”